Getting Around

Thursday, July 22, 2010

It’s Not All Flowers and Sausages

It's Not All Flowers and Sausages
Those of you who know me know that I read Mrs. Mimi’s blog.  She’s on quasi-maternity leave right now so I know she doesn’t have time to go cruising the internet looking for mentions of herself.  She’ll never see this.  I have to confess to being a huge fan of her blog and her opinions of the teaching profession.

First, you should know that this book is hilarious.  I’d already read some of it from her blog, but there’s something about reading it IN PRINT that makes it funnier.  And easier to carry with you than the computer when you’re refereeing fights between your own personal short people.  Maybe that’s just me.

Second, possibly without meaning to be, this book is a reality check for people wanting to teach.  I’ve already had a small taste as a preschool teacher, but I’ve met plenty of undergrads who go into teaching to get the summers off and don’t realize that they’re preparing for a way of life rather than a career.  I know they won’t last in their chosen field.  They need to wake up and smell Mrs. Mimi’s fruity cocktail with an umbrella, if you know what I mean.  I don’t pretend to know everything, but my eyes are a little wider open than some folks’ are.

Third, this is an easy, quick, read.  Do not drink soda while reading it or you’ll get some up your nose.  I was able to read it in under 24 hours, and I do have other things going on in my life other than reading funny books.

Here’s a text link: It's Not All Flowers and Sausages: My Adventures in Second Grade
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment