Getting Around

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The First Days of School

The First Days of School: How to Be an Effective Teacher This is one of those books that everyone tells you that you have to read. So I read it. And as I've said before, if you are writing an advice book, don't get too detailed about fashion or technology. 'Nuff said there.

I confess to reading an older copy of this book from the library, so I have to imagine that some of my complaints have been resolved in this new edition. Specifically, there's a lot of fluff at the beginning and way too much repetition of the exact same words. I get it, it's important. Only, I don't need to read it three times and then feel like you just sucked some minutes out of my life that I can't get back.

What is good about this book is the content on assessment and teaching to mastery. I've posted before about standards-based grading, but the Wongs were way ahead of their time. The version of the book I read even had a copy of a test that listed the standards alongside each question so you and the students know what standard's being addressed. Brilliant! I could have used more information on how to manage all the data I'd be getting from such assessments. The grade book portion of the book didn't really match with the whole standards-based assessment, so maybe the Wongs are still grading old-school but doing formative assessing based on standards. It's not clear. But it is clear that everyone needs to spend more time thinking about how to get kids to mastery.

No comments:

Post a Comment