Getting Around

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Spaces and Places

Spaces & Places: Designing Classrooms for Literacy At NCTM I was told by many people I talked to that I "had" to go see Debbie Diller. I had no clue who she is (I know, WHAT???), so I tried to get into one of her sessions. For some reason, she was in a smallish room, and even though I got there early I couldn't get in. So, I wrote down her name so I could do some reading later.

And boy, am I glad I did! Within the first 20 pages I knew I would be buying this book (I checked it out from my fabulous library). I am an extreme clutterbug who can't let go of anything, so one of the things about teaching that's been worrying me is creating a comfortable environment for my students. I fear creating huge walls of clutter over the years that will eventually endanger my students! I even did my visual pedagogy project for art class on how children felt about their spaces and what they would change about their current spaces. While Ms. Diller's book doesn't really address how students feel in the environments other than to mention kids with attention issues a few times, I found her book very helpful in organizing my thinking about spaces.

I'm not sure I'll use any of the worksheets she's included to help, but just having some guidance in how to think about my space and in what order to set it up will get me going on the right path. Her philosophies about classroom space are similar to mine, which I'm sure helped me to love this book. Kids are going to spend more time in my classroom than they will spend at home during the school year. It should be a productive, comfortable place for them. Now I feel like I have a fighting chance at making that happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment