Getting Around

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Notebook Know-How: Strategies for the Writer's Notebook

Notebook Know-How: Strategies for the Writer's Notebook, by Aimee Buckner, is another book that I'll buy depending on what grade level I'm hired to teach. It gives solid advice about using notebooks and teaching students how to use them. There are plenty of sample lessons to get you started. I'm not completely sure about her assessment, but that's mostly from observing a classroom that did something similar and it didn't go well. But, if you're combining this with CAFE then I think you could come up with a way to figure out how to have more concrete assessment on the writing end (CAFE is for reading, but I think similar assessment principles apply).

I really do believe in the value of the writer's and reader's notebooks, but I'm still a little shaky on implementing them. Specifically, if a parent asks me how his or her student is doing in reading, I want to be able to give a coherent answer with concrete details. I think this book will help me move in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment