Getting Around

Sunday, July 1, 2012

End of Year/Beginning of Summer Crazy

Making "Fossils" in Third Grade Science
The end of the school year was a little crazy. I handed the third graders back to their regular teacher for the last two weeks of school. I missed them, but they really need their teacher back after what was, for them, a very difficult year of many changes.

I took the opportunity to get some personal things taken care of.  All those people in medical waiting rooms right after school lets out?  They're teachers, catching up on the necessary things in life.

I had a couple of job interviews that didn't go anywhere, but it was good to have the experience. I got a very nice note from one school to thank me for my application, but they got 141 of them and they couldn't contact each one of us individually. It was good of them to let me know about the competition. Now I don't feel like I'm banging my head against the wall so much as waiting for someone to pull my CV out of big pot of them. I continue to apply for everything that comes up for which I'm qualified.

Other than that, I'm reading. And doing more reading. At the beginning of summer I wallowed in books for fun and now I'm back to reading teaching books. I love living in a town with a fabulous public library and a university. It makes it easy to support my book addiction. Not to mention that I can now borrow library books on my Kindle!

I am also considering upgrading my math certification from middle school only to secondary. The test doesn't look any harder than the middle school test and actually seems to cover less material. I'm not sure how I'd do in high school (my student teaching was elementary and middle), but all the job postings ask for secondary licensing rather than only middle school. I'm not sure if that has any meaning, though. Thoughts on that?

Now that summer is in full swing I'm considering doing a bit of cleaning-out. I don't get to spend much time at home during the year. I'm noticing it needs a bit of freshening up. Sadly, I am not a decorator. Maybe just whittling down the piles of things a bit will be a big enough change.

No comments:

Post a Comment