Getting Around

Friday, October 5, 2012

A Little IN Love

This week I gave a quiz. We create our assessments collaboratively, and this time I insisted that after each question we put which section of the book the question relates to next to each problem.* Interactive notebooks (INs) are allowed during my quizzes.

During this quiz, a girl raised her hand in a panic. "Mrs. Walsh, I can't find where we did section 3.1! I didn't label it that way in my notebook! What do I do???" I showed her that she DID label section 3.2 in her table of contents and asked her if she thought she could take it from there. She could.

At the time, I didn't think anything of it. I later realized: SHE USED HER IN AS A REFERENCE TOOL! This is exactly what I wanted to happen. I'm hoping it spreads, kind of like that stomach thing that's going around school right now.

I cannot even begin to thank everyone who has been spreading the IN/ISN/INB love around the math interwebs, but shout-outs must go to at least Megan, Sarah, and Julie, as well as many others whose names I never noted because I didn't have the time. I wish I knew you in real life so I could hug you for the notebooks. Thank you!

Not sure how I'll convince that kid who questions me at least once a week on why we're taking notes this way, but...baby steps. And some sighing.





*Yes, it would have been preferable to use standard numbers, but this is one of those weird standards with a bunch of different skills all bundled together but not labeled separately. Using the standard number would have been meaningless in this case. And, I'm still trying to convince my coworkers that grading by standard is a good idea. Collaboration is a double-edged sword, as we all know.

1 comment:

  1. Thats awesome! Isn't that just the most exciting thing ever? I want to jump up and down out of excitement when I see them actually using it as a reference which is exactly the point. Congrats :) keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete