Getting Around

Friday, November 2, 2012

Getting Crotchety in My Old Age?

I don't know why, but every time a student addresses me as "Miss" I get a little exasperated. It makes me think back to Mrs. Telesco...(insert wavy, flash-back video here)*
I am MRS. Telesco**!  Not "Miss" or anything else. I worked VERY HARD to become MRS. Telesco, so that's what you'd better call me!
(insert wavy, flash-forward video here)*

OK, maybe I didn't work very hard to "earn" my title, but I definitely prefer "Mrs." or "Ms." AND I HAVE NO CLUE WHY! Am I just being an old fart about this? "Mrs." appears on my name badge and on my door. I sometimes refer to myself in the third person with "Mrs." I made my preference clear during the first week of school. Are kids just lazy? Do they not understand the importance of calling people what they prefer? I make quite an effort to call kids what they like, even if they're just temporarily trying out a new nickname for themselves. I insist that we spell each other's names correctly.

On another note, while I probably won't be posting every day (it's that month where you're supposed to write a novel and blogging is the closest I'll ever get), you might get some weirdness from me this month. Just because.



* There's no budget for video. Use your imagination. I'm thinking something along the lines of "Wayne's World" would be appropriate.

** Mrs. Telesco was my Home Ec. teacher in middle school. What she lacked in physical stature she made up for in attitude. And I still don't know how to thread a sewing machine, despite her incredibly patient efforts to teach me.

No comments:

Post a Comment