Getting Around

Sunday, December 2, 2012

I didn't forget...

I didn't forget that I mentioned I'd post pictures of last week's plan. It just didn't happen. I had intended to put numbered folders on foam board with different remediation exercises in them, but I didn't get time to put all the pieces together.

I did do the individualized remediation, and I saw a nice improvement in the level of mastery among the kids who had to retest. Instead of my fancy foam board creation, I put the numbered folders along the floor and let kids take from them. Instead of kids just taking one worksheet at a time, which was my intention, they collected all of them at once. This was not a good thing, because the skills built on each other. Many of the kids starting working on them out of order, which wasn't as helpful as it could have been. I'll have to fix that part of the process.

Overall, I was pleased. The kids liked working on only the stuff they needed to work on. They liked testing on only the stuff they needed. My kids who were already proficient did a mini lesson on perimeter that didn't go particularly well, but now I know that I either need to be more specific or find some other type of enrichment for them to do.

Ideally, I'd make this the way we do things on a normal basis. I did have too much talking on the second day, which was frustrating. They need to take responsibility for their work, but they also want to socialize while not getting work done. It didn't help that one of the class members was leaving the school the next day, so no one was focused.

Anyway, I'd say it was a mostly successful experiment that needs a little tweaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment