Getting Around

Monday, January 21, 2013

My Big Campus

Is anyone else using My Big Campus? Our school system has adopted it as a means of, well, all sorts of things. It doesn't integrate with our grade book, so not grading (thank goodness). But our students are all loaded in now and my classes are set up.

Debates about whether there are better systems out there aside (I think there are), I'm finding it mostly useful as a place to dump all those great links to things I find. I've also put a couple of practice quizzes in there but have yet to use them. I'd love to do some assessments with it, particularly when I'm forced to use multiple choice questions for whatever reason. Actually, essay questions wouldn't be bad because then I wouldn't have to deal with tween handwriting.

On the negative side, I don't always have reliable technology on which to use My Big Campus with my students. While I usually have access to slow netbooks, in the last week they've been whisked out of my room by the 8th grade science teachers. This is fine, because they are science department netbooks and I tend to use them more for math, but it makes planning interesting.

Beginning this week I'll post homework for math on My Big Campus rather than on my website. I created a bundle of online resources for students who want more support with the topics we'll be covering in this unit. A third of my students don't have internet access at home, so I can't use it as a way to flip lessons.

Anyway, I'd love to hear how other people are using it or if anyone found it a complete waste of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment