Getting Around

Sunday, July 21, 2013

My Naked Classroom - HELP!

Hard to believe, but I'm two weeks away from the beginning of my school year.  I should be able to get back in the building sometime this week, so I've been thinking about my room.  I didn't get my room until after the school year started last year, so it spent most of the year being undecorated except with student work.  I am very, very bad at decorating, as anyone who has been to my house can attest.

I need help!

Here are some pictures of my classroom.  What would you do with it?  The only true restrictions are that the lab tables cannot be moved and my desk can only be rotated but not moved away from its area.  Oh, and nothing highly flammable near the lab tables, since I do teach science for part of the day.  Both bookcases can be moved, but I don't think the glass case by the cabinets can.

View from the back of the room. The cork board hangs behind where I sit when the students aren't there (who has time to sit when they ARE there?):

View of the entry.  The screen on that wall is unused, but it's unclear at this point if I'll be allowed to have it taken down:

View of the way back:

The wall of cabinets, mostly filled with previous teachers' stuff: 

The big, blank wall.  The eye wash station messes the spaciousness of it up a bit and the TV in the corner hasn't worked in years. I had been keeping turn-in folders and supplies on a desk along the wall so people weren't always walking over to the bookcase by my desk, but I'm not married to that:


I had been thinking I might get some cheap Asian-inspired screens to put between the two parts of the room to make it feel cozier when we're only in the front part, but I'm not sure if that's making more work for myself.

I am not into foofy decorations.  I like stuff to be useful or to show evidence of learning.  I'm hoping to use a lot of anchor charts this year since I scored a sticky easel pad from a friend over the summer (only ELA teachers get them at my school).

I had a wish that someone would make me a flannel coordinate plane that I could use like a giant feltboard on the large wall, but I haven't convinced anyone that I need it badly enough.

HELP!

3 comments:

  1. What about a focus wall? I made one for my classroom and I love it. It's probably one of my favorite things about my room.

    http://7thgrademathteacherextraordinaire.blogspot.com/search/label/Math%20Focus%20Wall

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember reading about your focus wall! I already keep my standards up on the wall and they will also be in a binder kids are keeping on their progress this year. I usually just throw the standards we're working on up on the wall, but maybe I'll make a nice, organized display like you have this year. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the things that I am most looking forward to about becoming a teacher is finally getting to decorate my own classroom any way that I want! Unfortunately, I am a male and know nothing about it and they don't teach you that in college!

    ReplyDelete