Getting Around

Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Connected Math

CMP3


Our school has recently adopted Connected Mathematics Project 3 (CMP3 from now on) for our new curriculum. I'm going to be spending a ton of time with it this summer, so it seems like a good time to start blogging again.

We had a too-quick training. It clocked in at 5 hours, but the instructor said most schools get 3 hours. What? Other teachers I've known who've taught CMP got as much as a week of training. Much of it was spent on the online tools rather than the process of teaching a lesson. There was so much to learn but very little time.

For those who don't know, CMP3 is taught through inquiry. So, you learn why you need the math tool before you abstract the formal math. I really like that part of it. What I don't like is that somehow we have to make it work in very short periods, some as short as 41 minutes. I piloted a couple of units this spring, and I'm finding that you really need to work out all the problems yourself in advance so you can see where it's all going. Unlike a traditional curriculum, you can't just show up one day and teach whatever the next thing is in the book. Without knowing the story arc, it becomes very muddled very quickly.

I have also just found out that I'm teaching science again after a year off. Science is a ton of work, but I'm teaching with an excellent colleague. We have new standards this year, but my excellent colleague found a document that says we actually have some time before we have to implement the new standards, so I'll be able to hit the ground running in the fall with stuff I already know. Our science department will do its own curriculum adoption this coming academic year, so it's nice not to have to change anything without the new curriculum.

No comments:

Post a Comment